Thursday, October 15, 2009

me me me me me

Tonight is Teevee Night. At 7:00 I'll settle in to my pal's sofa and enjoy an evening of The Office, 30 Rock, Project Runway and of course Bones. A nice three hour block of television. Although it seems like I'm watching a lot more tv these days, I actually feel quite restrained. I have 6 shows that I keep up with (the other two are ANTM and Mad Men), I don't have cable so I'm limited anyway, and I try to watch things that are well done or grab on to a particular interest. My only real guilty pleasure is America's Next Top Model, but it does conform to my interest in fashion, so it's ok. I'm feeling quite satisfied with my television watching this Fall.

So, I don't have a proper job and I'm not taking any real classes. What in the world am I doing with all this time other than watching my requisite 5 hours a week of television? It's a weird state to be in. I have much to do but no one telling me when or how to do it. I've made up some goals to help me structure my time, and so far I think it's helping.

Here's a list of the things I have to do and some goals I've made for this semester:
  • Study for the GRE
  • Apply to PhD programs, which entails filling out applications, talking to professors about letters of recomendation, writing personal statements, chosing and editing writing samples, and for London I actually have to write a dissertation proposal, which I still have a lot of research to do.
  • Try to get published. I have to edit papers I think might be publishing worthy and send them off.
  • Edit my thesis.
  • Work and find another job
  • Watch a movie every day
  • Write in my blog every day
  • Read at least one scholarly article every day
  • Be creative, not just crafty.
  • Spend time building relationships with family and friends.
It's so much easier to take classes or work full time than it is to force myself to do all these things, but I do love it. I mean, I love doing my own thing and owning my time, and I'm trying to enjoy myself more as I do it instead of always freaking out about not being a slave to some institution.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a fun semester! i am glad you ar watching all these tv shows! i finally have a tv now! and i'm super excited about that. is only local channels, but is still pretty cool. like you I also like America's Next Top Model. I haven't seen it in a while but I usually watch the marathons when they have them on MTV. anyway, two shows that I would like to recommend to you: Glee and Bored to Death. Glee is on Fox I believe, but I just watch in on hulu. is a silly show and the I did not love it the first time I watched it, but is an acquiring taste and I really like it now. the second show I am into is Bored to Death. is an HBO show with Jason Schartzman and is super funny. I just watch it online. btw, have you been keeping up with Mad Men's season three? Because I've had and is sooo good. Did you already watch the episode in Rome?

    ReplyDelete