Sunday, February 27, 2011

getting back into the swing of things

It's been over two weeks since I last blogged, which is no good.  When I don't blog it means several things: I'm too busy, I'm too tired, and I'm not doing anything interesting.  This was all true in the last two weeks.  I had a paper due on the 24th so I basically checked out of the living world and set myself up a home in the BL (my very cool nickname for the British Library).  I didn't do anything but research.  I didn't take any interesting walks, I didn't go to to any museums or concerts.  I never hung out with any people.  In fact I went for least 4 days in a row without speaking to anyone but the librarians.

A few things about the BL. After being in there every day you start noticing the regulars.  One is a man dressed all in black with a black fedora and a spaghetti mustache (I'm sure they're not called that, but you know what I mean).  He has a very elaborate set up and even finds a big black office chair from somewhere.  On some days he has stacks of books about guitars, and on other days he has stacks of books about the mafia.  I think he's the official historian for the mafia, but that doesn't really explain the guitars.

My favorite librarian is a very tall, thin man with long grey hair, a funny little accent and an amused grin on his face at all times.  He's Dracula.  Count Dracula made it to England, set himself up and works at the British Library. He's my favorite librarian.

Also, there's another J. Stokes in the library and I keep getting their books.  I wonder if they get mine and what they think of me when they have to send back 21st Century Goths and Famous Suicides.  


I'm going to make a separate blog post about the research I've been doing lately, but I will say it has been incredibly fun.  I have yet to find a topic that is so engrossing for me, and I'm considering expanding my last essay into the larger project I have due at the end of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment