Saturday, February 14, 2009

online newspapers

The other day I read this article in Time Magazine about finding an easy and simple way to charge for content on the internet. At first I was turned off by the idea; information on the internet is free and was meant to stay that way, dammit. But as I read the argument I began to change my mind a bit. We're losing our cities' newspapers, but it's not because people are not reading the news, they are simply reading it online. I'm not really worried about the newspapers losing money and going under, but I do like the idea that content will improve and be of a consistently higher quality if the newspapers answered to the readers and not only to the advertisers. I'd pay a nickle for an article if I knew I was getting something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment